Thursday, December 16, 2010

SEIT 1:1 Games

Here are a list of educational games that I've found most useful so far:

1 & 2 Thinkfun Zingo (Classic & 1-2-3)
I've used this in my SEIT sessions, either 1:1 or pulling an extra friend in to the session with my student. The whole premise is based on matching, which many special education students love to do and can do easily. The Classic version is great for encouraging vocabulary growth and recognition of common objects. You can also use the chips for categorization and letter search.
The Zingo 1-2-3 is for more advanced counters. It promotes numeral to quantity matching. Tip: If your student has a low frustration tolerance, working on one board might be more useful than playing it in the game setting. That way, you can work on one board together while still using the fun Zingo slider.
Both games promote turn taking. If your student has a hard time taking turns, I've found it useful to have a "marker", using a counting bear, dice, etc to indicate who's turn it is.


3. Travel Guess Who -
Game may be difficult for many preschool special needs students to play by the game rules. However, I've used the pictures and cards to promote descriptive speech, categorization, visual discrimination and fine motor skills. They really love to flip down the pictures.


4. Travel Connect 4 -
This game can be used in 1:1 sessions for patterning, colors, counting. I've pulled in other students to play the game version during 1:1 sessions.


5. Activity Work Book
A new spin on handwriting. Most books will have alphabet and number pages. Many of the themed books will have pages that target toward visual discrimination skills, patterning, and matching.


6. Candyland Bingo
Promotes color and shape recognition and naming. Again, feel free to pull out another child (if it's ok with the classroom teacher) for this game. It works on social skills and special needs kids love playing with their peers in fun structured settings.


7. Colorama
A classic game for shape and color matching and recognition. Hexagon and trapezoid are a bit tricky but they have all the basic colors and shapes.



Like any great SEIT, I've spend my first two paychecks on games and supplies. I'm looking to invest in an iPad next cut down on the load I have to carry around with me on the NYC subway system.I'm always looking for more interesting things to bring to my sessions. If you have any suggestions, feel free to comment!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Nancy. I've been reading your blog and I am interested in becoming a Special Education Itinerant Teacher. Can I email you to ask you some questions about this position? If so, what's your email address? I would be really grateful for your advice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy! Please resume the blog! I'd love to see where you are now.

    ReplyDelete